Friday, August 05, 2016

"How I Met Your Mother" Themed Baby Shower

What do you do when you have to plan a baby shower and are fresh out of ideas? The same old summer/spring themes are boring.
The theme we decided on was the TV show "How I Met Your Mother". Now, I know this is not really a baby shower friendly (read family-friendly) theme, but we went ahead with it.
I do not remember who came up with this idea -- I think one of the hard-core fans suggested it and then it just went from there. And boy was everyone excited! This was probably more fun for the party planners than the parents-to-be. Just between you and me, it probably was :P
What started as a Whatsapp chat group had now turned into a full-on theme party! Before you knew it, hardcore fans of the show started coming up with interesting ways to make HIMYM kid friendly (if that was ever possible!). But eventually we did! :)

As per usual, a prep party was planned. Let me begin by saying that I am not one of those hardcore fans of HIMYM. I have probably watched a handful of episodes and quite liked them all. But as I went along with the party planning, I learned a lot!

Now, fans of the show know what slutty pumpkin refers to. Since this had to be kid-friendly, we decided to make a simple pumpkin-like diaper cake. For those who don't know what a diaper cake is, its not actually a cake you can eat, but (usually) a 2-3 tier cake-like structure that's made from diapers that the mommy can eventually use for her baby. The diaper "cake" we made was a diaper pumpkin.



We also made a few other items that we used as party decor.

An obvious word-play on the intervention sign

A gift basket filled with duck themed baby towels, socks and bibs  

A Mac Laren pub sign

A blue french horn

The BRO Code book





The food was of course bar/pub food -- paired with interesting names :)




These yummy drinks were served with cute yellow umbrellas ;)








This was such a fun party; we cant wait for the next one!!  ;)


No comments: